1. The traditional view is ____ we sleep because our brain is “programmed” to make us do so.
A. when B. why C. whether D. that
2. You are saying that everyone should be equal, and this is ____ I disagree.
A. why B. where C. what D. how
3. — I drove to Zhuhai for the air show last week.
— Is that ____ you had a few days off?
A. why B. when C. what D. where
4. ____ she couldn’t understand was ____ fewer and fewer students showed interest in her lessons.
A. What; why B. That; what C. What; because D. Why; that
5. ____ made the school proud was ____ more than 90% of the students had been admitted to key universities.
A. What; because B. What; that
C. That; what D. That; because
6. — Are you still thinking about yesterday’s game?
— Oh, that’s ____.
A. what makes me feel excited B. whatever I feel excited about
C. how I feel about it D. when I feel excited
7. Nearly all the streets are in straight lines, ________ from east to west. Those ________ run from north to south are called avenues.
A. running; that B. run; who C. running; who D. run; that
8. This is the case ________ he’s had all his money stolen.
A. when B. where C. that D. on which
9. Mr. Smith will pay a visit to Beijing this autumn, ________ we will enjoy the Olympic Games in 2008.
A. where B. when C. which D. how
10. The artist will not paint people or animals but he will paint anything ________ .
A. that the little girl asks him
B. the little girl asks him to
C. for the little girl to ask him
D. what the little girl asks him
11. —How did you get in touch with the travel agent, Robin?
—Oh, that’s easy. I surfed the Internet and then called one ________ the telephone number is provided.
A. which B. in which C. of which D. whose
12. October 15th is my birthday, ________ I will never forget.
A. when B. that C. what D. which
13. The treatment will continue until the patient reaches the point ________ he can walk correctly and safely.
A. when B. where C. which D. whose
14. There are several research centers in China ________ a certain disease called Bird Flu is being studied.
A. which B. where C. when D. what
15. I hope that the little ________ I have been able to do does good to them all.
A. which B. what C. that D. when
16. The time is not far away ________ modern communications will become
widespread in China’s vast countryside.
A. as B. when C. until D. before
17. ________ is known to everybody, Taiwan is a part of China. We must unify it.
A. It B. As C. Which D. What
18. I shall never forget the day ________ Shen Zhou V was launched, ________ has a great effect on my life.
A. when, which B. that, which C. which, that D. when, that
19. The bread my wife makes is much better than ________ you can buy at a store.
A. that which B. one that C. that of which D. this of which
20. There is no such place ________ you dream of in all this world.
A. that B. what C. which D. as
21. The people, ________ had been damaged by the flood, were given help by the Red Cross.
A. all whose homes B. all of whose homes
C. all their homes D. all of their homes
22. The humans are destroying nature day by day, ________ of course, will cause severe punishment from it sooner or later.
A. who B. when C. on which D. which
23. Is this research center ________ you visited the modern equipment last year?
A. where B. that C. the one that D. the one where
24. Some pictures of the river brought the days back to the old ________ they swam in it.
A. when B. that C. who D. where
25. The man showed us so heavy a stone ________ no man can lift.
A. that B. as C. which D. and
26. He stayed there for quite a long time, during ________ time he learned much spoken English.
A. that B. this C. which D. Same
27.The place _______interested me most was the Children's Palace.
A. Which B. where C. what D. in which
28.Do you know the man _______?
A. whom I spoke B. to who spoke C. I spoke to D. that I spoke
29.This is the hotel _______last month.
A. which they stayed B. at that they stayed
C. where they stayed at D. where they stayed
30.Do you know the year ______the Chinese Communist Party was founded?
A. which B. that C. when D. on which
31.That is the day ______I'll never forget.
A. which B. on which C. in which D. when
32.The factory ______we'll visit next week is not far from here.
A. where B. to which C. which D. in which
33.Great changes have taken place since then in the factory _______we are working.
A. where B. that C. which D. there
34.This is one of the best films _______.
A. that have been shown this year B. that have shown
C. that has been shown this year D. that you talked
35.Can you lend me the book ______the other day?
A. about which you talked B. which you talked
C. about that you talked D. that you talked
36.The pen ______he is writing is mine.
A. with which B. in which C. on which D. by which
37.They arrived at a farmhouse, in front of ______sat a small boy.
A. whom B. who C. which D. that
38.The engineer ______my father works is about 50 years old.
A. to whom B. on whom C. with which D. with whom
39.It there anyone in your class ______family is in the country?
A. who B. who's C. which D. whose
40.I'm interested in ______you have said.
A. all that B. all what C. that D. which