Part A Reading Aloud
The Road tells us stories of cities, stories of wars, all passed on through travelers’ tales. The hardest part of the Silk Road journey was crossing the vast expanse of desert, called ―The Sea of Death‖. The Mogao Cave is an intersection between the edge of the Silk Road and starting point of the ―Desert of Death‖. The numerous stories of the Silk Road tale were hidden in the desert. The desert sand wind has two different sides, and the desert does not leave any traces. However, uncovering the Silk Road’s stories is similar to counting the grains of sand in the desert.
Part B Role Play
W: So how long is it since you came over to England?
M: Well, it is about seven years now.
W: How do you find it?
M: I would say the time I am used to most things now.
W: So how was it at first?
M: Well, driving was the most difficult thing. I got used to driving on the left quite quickly. But it was other things like, er, one problem I had was with the horn.
W: Why was that?
M: I found out that English people get very upset if someone sounds their horn. Another terrifying thing was that people suddenly step into the road, you know, on the zebra crossings. I wasn’t used to stopping and I almost run someone over.
1. 学生问： 电脑答：Well, queuing was a problem, too. I mean, it really is the national sport here. I’m still trying to get used to it. It just seems such a boring thing to do. You know, to stung in line for such a long times.
2. 学生问：电脑答：Well, they are very polite, you know, saying ―please‖ and ―thank you‖ all the time. I found it strange at first, all the time. Before I live here, I used to think English people were very formal.
3. 学生问：电脑答：No, no, not really. Except, I suppose about how to greet people, you know, to kiss or not to kiss.
1. 录音问：How many years has the man been in England?
学生答：2. 录音问：What did the man get used to quite quickly?
学生答：Driving on the left.
3. 录音问：What does the man think of queuing?
学生答：It is such a boring thing to do. /It is boring.
4. 录音问：What did the man think of English people before he came to England?
学生答：They were very formal.
5. 录音问：What does the man still find difficult in England?
学生答：The way to greet people.
Part C Retelling
Tom 抄下了黑板上的两道题，做完交给教授，结果解出的是从未有人解开过的数学难题。 关键词：
math problem (数学题)
work out (解出题目
录音文本 Two Problems
During his first year at university, one day, Tom arrived late at one of Professor Brown’s courses. On the blackboard were two math problems. He thought they were their homework and copied them down. A few days later, Tom went to Professor Brown’s office and apologized to him for taking so long to finish the homework. The problems seemed to be a little harder to do than usual. He asked Professor Brown if he still wanted his homework. He told Tom to throw it on the desk covered with a lot of papers. Tom feared that his homework would be there forever. One Sunday morning, about six weeks later, Tom had a heavy knock at the front door. It was Professor Brown. He rushed in with Tom’s homework in his hand. He said to Tom excitedly, ―I’ve just written an introduction for one of your papers. Read it so that we can get it published.‖ For a minute, Tom had no idea what he was talking about. Tom was later told that the two problems he copied down as his homework were two famous math problems that had never been worked out. For the first time, Tom realized that the two problems have something special in them.