When someone or something reverses a decision, policy, or trend, they change it to the opposite decision, policy, or trend.
e.g. They have made it clear they will not reverse the decision to increase prices...
e.g. The rise, the first in 10 months, reversed the downward trend in Belgium's jobless rate.
If you reverse the order of a set of things, you arrange them in the opposite order, so that the first thing comes last.
e.g. In the squares place a penny, nickel, dime and quarter in that order. The object is to reverse the order of these coins...
e.g. The normal word order is reversed in passive sentences.
If you reverse the positions or functions of two things, you change them so that each thing has the position or function that the other one had.
e.g. He reversed the position of the two stamps.
When a car reverses or when you reverse it, the car is driven backwards.
e.g. Another car reversed out of the drive...
e.g. He reversed and drove away...
in AM, usually use 美国英语通常用back up
If your car is in reverse, you have changed gear so that you can drive it backwards.
e.g. He lurched the car in reverse along the ruts to the access road.
Reverse means opposite to what you expect or to what has just been described.
e.g. The wrong attitude will have exactly the reverse effect.
If you say that one thing is the reverse of another, you are emphasizing that the first thing is the complete opposite of the second thing.
e.g. There is absolutely no evidence at all that spectators want longer cricket matches. Quite the reverse...
e.g. This would lead one to expect a fat, dense and detailed autobiography. The reverse is true. The book is short and spare.
A reverse is a serious failure or defeat.
e.g. It's clear that the party of the former Prime Minister has suffered a major reverse.
The reverse or the reverse side of a flat object which has two sides is the less important or the other side.
e.g. Cheques should be made payable to Country Living and your address written on the reverse.
If something happens in reverse or goes into reverse, things happen in the opposite way to what usually happens or to what has been happening.
e.g. Amis tells the story in reverse, from the moment the man dies...
e.g. The downward trend went into reverse and the scores started to creep up again.
If you reverse the charges when you make a telephone call, the person who you are phoning pays the cost of the call and not you.
及物/不及物动词(使)反转; (使)颠倒; 掉换，交换; [法]撤消，推翻
形容词反面的; 颠倒的; 倒开的; [生]倒卷的
名词倒转，反向; [机]回动; 倒退; 失败
1. in reverse order : 倒序地;
1. His coat can be reversed when it begins to rain.
2. He reversed his car into the garage.
1. They did the reverse of what the teacher told them to do.
2. Drive the automobile in reverse until you get out of the alley.
1. 相反：Chris与同仁时常用这句话勉励自己,随时将相反(reverse)、转移(transfer)、合并(combine)、改变方向(change direction)、延伸(extend)、减少(reduce)等六个创新法则拿出来检视,把生活上的点点滴滴融入设计里,
2. 逆转：符号到值的任何提交(commitment)可以延迟直到这样的决定不可避免,即使如此它可以用很小的代价逆转(reverse). 这允许我们快速的探索可供选择的设计并逐步增加的建造程序. Lisp 的语法是简单的、并且它的程序自然的表示为数据结构,
3. reverse：r; 反转，倒转
1. The amount and date of negotiation of each draft must be endorsed on reverse hereof by the negotiation bank.
2. The amount and date of negotiation of each draft must be endorsed on reverse hereof by the negotiating bank.
3. The purity and high-purity nitrogen generator is one of the main products of the company, which mostly adopts one/two column and common-flow/reverse-flow expansion process.
4. When I was a kid in China, I used to come across story books which describe about the living in the forest of Russia, chum salmon which move in reverse current, brown bear which catching chum salmon in the stream, all these are good memories.