1. a disposition free from stress or emotion
2. the absence of sound
e.g. he needed silence in order to sleep
the street was quiet
3. an untroubled state
free from disturbances
4. a period of calm weather
e.g. there was a lull in the storm
1. make calm or still
e.g. quiet the dragons of worry and fear
Synonym: calmcalm downtranquilizetranquillizetranquillisequietenlullstill
2. become quiet or quieter
e.g. The audience fell silent when the speaker entered
Synonym: quietenhushquiescequiet downpipe down
1. of the sun characterized by a low level of surface phenomena like sunspots e.g.
2. (of a body of water) free from disturbance by heavy waves
e.g. a ribbon of sand between the angry sea and the placid bay
the quiet waters of a lagoon
a lake of tranquil blue water reflecting a tranquil blue sky
a smooth channel crossing
scarcely a ripple on the still water
3. in a softened tone
e.g. hushed voices
a subdued whisper
a quiet reprimand
4. not showy or obtrusive
e.g. clothes in quiet good taste
5. free of noise or uproar
or making little if any sound
e.g. a quiet audience at the concert
the room was dark and quiet
6. characterized by an absence or near absence of agitation or activity
e.g. a quiet life
a quiet throng of onlookers
quiet peace-loving people
the factions remained quiet for almost 10 years
1. with little or no activity or no agitation (`quiet' is a nonstandard variant for `quietly')
e.g. her hands rested quietly in her lap
the rock star was quietly led out the back door
sit here as quiet as you can
形容词清静的; 僻静的; 不起眼的; 不激动的
1. on the quiet : 秘密地, 私下地;
2. at quiet : 平静;
1. Be quiet!
2. The sea was quiet before the storm struck.
1. She lay quiet.
1. Mother quiet ed the frightened child.
1. The wind quieted down.
1. I'd like a few hours of quiet after the day's work.