1. the enactment of a pretense
e.g. it was just pretend
1. state insincerely
e.g. He professed innocence but later admitted his guilt
She pretended not to have known the suicide bomber
She pretends to be an expert on wine
2. make believe with the intent to deceive
e.g. He feigned that he was ill
He shammed a headache
3. represent fictitiously, as in a play, or pretend to be or act like
e.g. She makes like an actress
Synonym: makemake believe
4. put forward, of a guess, in spite of possible refutation
e.g. I am guessing that the price of real estate will rise again
I cannot pretend to say that you are wrong
5. behave unnaturally or affectedly
e.g. She's just acting
6. put forward a claim and assert right or possession of
e.g. pretend the title of King
1. imagined as in a play
e.g. the make-believe world of theater
dangling their legs in the water to catch pretend fish
及物动词装扮; 假装，伪装; 假称
不及物动词扮演; 自称; 假装，矫作
1. Let's pretend we're cats.
2. He pretended to be friendly with me.
3. He pretended that he was innocent.
4. I do not pretend to be a scholar.
1. 装：提起纳特.金.科尔,我最先听到的是<<假装>>(pretend)、<<太年轻>>(too young)等甜美浪漫的走红歌曲. 歌曲的录制一定是得有杂音的,从晶体管收音机(当时的最新商品)里流淌出来. 时值一九六零年前后. 当时,科尔的本职工作爵士钢琴弹奏几乎处于休眠状态,
2. 伪装：yearn#渴望 | pretend#伪装 | want#想要
3. 装作：garbage 垃圾 | pretend 装作 | chase 追逐,追赶
1. He suggested that there might be men of genius in the lowest grades of life, however permanently humble and illiterate, who take their own view always, or do not pretend to see at all. who are so bottomless even as Walden pond was thought to be, though they may be dark and muddy.
2. Remember, they love money, so just pretend like you own a goldmine and you''re in the club.
3. Actually she was neither, but she could pretend to be. It made her feel more respectable and ladylike.
4. I say, let us pretend that it is the end.
5. Let's pretend you enter your office to find a note from your top salesman on your desk.
6. I want you to pretend you're in a theater.
7. When you don't know what he says, you just pretend to understand and smile more
8. When you don't know what he said, just nod and pretend to understand.
9. Nowadays it is the fashion to pretend that no single individual is ever responsible for a successful advertising campaign.
10. I don`t have to pretend.
11. If your child asks a difficult question that you can''t answer, first seek the answer and then answer him or her. Do not pretend to understand, as well, you can teach your child to find the answers for himself.
12. Lots of people pretend that they never read advertisements, but this claim may be seriously doubted.
13. Lots of people pretend that they never read advertisemerits, but this claim may be seriously doubted.
14. But that fact is acknowledged in the consultation paper. The sub-committee does not pretend that its interim proposals will offer a solution to every problem.
15. Pretend the wind is blowing from the rear and fanning the hind end.
16. But I will pretend that the strong, after all, I can not always rely on...