1. a verb tense that expresses actions or states at the time of speaking
Synonym: present tense
2. something presented as a gift
e.g. his tie was a present from his wife
3. the period of time that is happening now
any continuous stretch of time including the moment of speech
e.g. that is enough for the present
he lives in the present with no thought of tomorrow
1. bring forward and present to the mind
e.g. We presented the arguments to him
We cannot represent this knowledge to our formal reason
Synonym: representlay out
2. recognize with a gesture prescribed by a military regulation
assume a prescribed position
e.g. When the officers show up, the soldiers have to salute
3. cause to come to know personally
e.g. permit me to acquaint you with my son
introduce the new neighbors to the community
4. formally present a debutante, a representative of a country, etc.
5. deliver (a speech, oration, or idea)
e.g. The commencement speaker presented a forceful speech that impressed the students
6. present somebody with something, usually to accuse or criticize
e.g. We confronted him with the evidence
He was faced with all the evidence and could no longer deny his actions
An enormous dilemma faces us
7. represent abstractly, for example in a painting, drawing, or sculpture
e.g. The father is portrayed as a good-looking man in this painting
8. perform (a play), especially on a stage
e.g. we are going to stage `Othello'
9. give an exhibition of to an interested audience
e.g. She shows her dogs frequently
We will demo the new software in Washington
10. give as a present
make a gift of
e.g. What will you give her for her birthday?
11. give, especially as an honor or reward
e.g. bestow honors and prizes at graduation
12. hand over formally
e.g. This poses an interesting question
1. being or existing in a specified place
e.g. the murderer is present in this room
present at the wedding
present at the creation
形容词目前的; 现在的; 出席的; [语法学]现在时的
名词现在; 礼物; 瞄准
及物动词提出; 出现; 介绍; 赠送
1. for the present : 暂时;
2. at present : 现在, 目前;
3. present itself : 出现;
4. live in the present : 顺应当前形势, 只顾眼前;
5. present oneself : 出席;
1. How many people were present at the meeting?
1. He had to present a smiling face though heavy-hearted.
2. All this presented new safety problems.
3. Money presents no difficulty to them.
1. He often gave his neighbor's kids little presents.
A：How many do you intend to order?
B：I want to order 900 dozen.
A：The most we can offer you at present is 600 dozen.
A：I’m here to express my congratulations to you on you rbirthday. And I wish you many happy returns of the day. Here is a birthday present for you.
B：Many thanks for your presence.
B：How do you handle your conflict with your colleagues in your work?
A：I will try to present my ideas in a more clear and civilized manner in order to get my points across.
1. 现在的：在这个意义上,尽管涂尔干始终强调社会是现在的(present),是一种具体的集体表现(collective representation),是生成性的实在. 不过,把社会说成是一种具体的人格存在,只不过是涂尔干的一相情愿而已. 在现代社会里,
2. 在场的：WORM光盘柜是硬件中最不可靠的部分,但是因为它保存文件系统的元数据(metadata),为了提供文件它必须是在场的(present). 系统可以用适当驻留在磁盘上的文件系统重构,因此WORM只是一个备份设备了. 这不会要求改变内部接口.