You use perhaps to express uncertainty, for example, when you do not know that something is definitely true, or when you are mentioning something that may possibly happen in the future in the way you describe.
e.g. Millson regarded her thoughtfully. Perhaps she was right...
e.g. In the end they lose millions, perhaps billions...
You use perhaps in opinions and remarks to make them appear less definite or more polite.
e.g. Perhaps the most important lesson to be learned is that you simply cannot please everyone...
e.g. His very last paintings are perhaps the most puzzling...
You use perhaps when you are making suggestions or giving advice. Perhaps is also used in formal English to introduce requests.
e.g. Perhaps I may be permitted a few suggestions...
e.g. Well, perhaps you'll come and see us at our place?...
You can say perhaps as a response to a question or remark, when you do not want to agree or accept, but think that it would be rude to disagree or refuse.
e.g. 'You know it doesn't make sense for you.' — 'Perhaps. I don't know. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't.'...
e.g. 'I'm sure we can make it,' he says. Perhaps, but it will not be easy.
副词或许; (表示不确定)也许; (用于粗略的估计)或许; (表示勉强同意或其实不赞成)也许
名词假定; 猜想; 未定之事
1. Perhaps the letter will come today.
2. Perhaps I can help you.
3. Perhaps they are in need of our help.
American English Rhythm-(美国英语的节拍)
A：Hello, Harry. Where are you off to?
B：I'm going home to study my English lesson.
B：Yes. I'm trying to learn a little more.I don't always understand what people say, and they don't always understand me.
A：What're you learning about?
B：Well. For instance, some words in a sentence are stressed.The time between two of these stressed words is always about the same. No matter how many words there are.This is what makes English sound jerky. First you go very fast, and then perhaps you slow up.
A：Hmmmm. I never noticed that. Give me an example.
B：Sure, Here's a sentence we memorized for class. "You told me last night not to let you argue me out of getting you up on time."It takes just as long to say"not to let you argue me out of getting you up on time"as it does to say"you told me last night"
可以。这儿有一句我们在上课时应记住的话："You told me last night not to let you argue me out of getting you up on time。"在说"not to let you argue me out of getting you up on time"这段话的时间就和说"you told me last night"这句话一样长。
A：You have a lovely house, Jack.
B：Thank you. Yeah, it's home, but a number of things have been going wrong lately.
A：That's too bad. What problems are you having?
B：Oh, the whole house needs re-painting, for starters. The carpet in the living room is worn out, and I'd like to put in new wall-to-wall carpeting. Last week, I had to call the plumber to fix the toilet. Anyway, all par for the course when you own a house, I guess. I think I'm going to hire an interior decorator to look the place over.
A：I've studied Western home decoration as a hobby. Could I make some suggestions?
B：Go right ahead.
A：Well, I think a crystal chandelier would look great in your living room, and maybe some new drapes for the windows. Also, a grandfather clock would look great in the den. Perhaps you could buy some potted plants for the dining room.
B：Wow! You really do have a talent for this, Ethabella. Thanks for your suggestions.
A：You are welcome, Jack. Glad to be of help.
A：Hello, Elizabeth. How are you?
A：Are you sure you’re all right? You look a bit worried today. Is anything wrong?
B：Well, yes, there is something wrong actually. Perhaps you can give me some advice.
A：Of course, if I can.
B：Well, last night when I returned from the theatre, I found that I’d lost my wallet.
A：Oh dear! That’s terrible! What was in your wallet?
B：Well, some money, of course, my visa, all my identity cards and some photos.
A：Well, if I were you, I’d go to the police station straight away and report it.
B：Yes, I’ve already done that, and they said they’d look for it. But we’re leaving soon and I need my visa and identity cards badly.
A：Oh dear! What a pity! Are you sure you lost the wallet in the theatre?
B：Yes, quite sure.
A：I think you should put an advertisement in the China Daily, saying when and where you lost it.
B：But that takes too long.
A：Wait a minute! My uncle lives in Beijing and he lives very close to the theatre. I’ll telephone him and ask him to go there to inquire about it. You’d better have breakfast now and I’ll meet you later.
B：Oh, thank you. I hope he finds it.
1. 或许：借助鼓励当事人试着将一些限定词,例如,可能(maybepossibly)、或许(perhaps)、某种(sort of)、我猜(I guess),以及我想(I suppose)等等去除掉,可帮助当事人将原本模糊的讯息,转变成清晰或直接的陈述.
2. 或许不是：236.是真的 That's true | 237.或许不是Perhaps | 238.从来没有Never
3. 大概,也许：tourist 旅游者 | perhaps 大概,也许 | refrigerator n. 电冰箱
1. And it just uses today's software, perhaps new versions of it at very low incremental costs, because the PC and the network are already in place.
2. Perhaps he should have just stuck with convention and worn a normal necktie.
3. For instance. Perhaps it is because of the reason the light is dim, or the unique efficiency relaxed and releived of the happy joss stick produced in Xizang drifting of Tibet twittering, stay in room soon, people can feel tired out to stand up, sleep soundly and alleviate the pressure completely while being easy very.
4. Perhaps I have already had an air of something like a writer now.
5. Perhaps they were searching for morsels of food on the stream-bed; or maybe they sought the chill cold of the deep water.
6. Third, if you are a northerner, and perhaps did not really understand Fuzhou cavity.
7. Perhaps so, but in the last couple of months she's been photographed looking all but perfect in fresh-from-the-runway Rodarte and Proenza Schouler, as well as, most recently, vintage Ossie Clark.
8. They are a stealing and a silent refreshment that we perhaps do not think about but which goes on all the time.
9. But perhaps even more significant, they will encounter a social stigma that many of the 83 million other disabled Chinese face.
10. As originally constructed, Hogwarts was likely much smaller, perhaps about the size of a manor house.
11. He was the first to go blind. Perhaps...
12. The full moon of January 30 was explosive for most people, but perhaps less so for you.
13. You can perhaps borrow from a pension fund to pay off your debts.
14. This is a ruthlessly trampling on the dignity of children. But perhaps precisely because of all this, in exchange for a briefing.